The Joule Thief 1.0 is a circuit that utilizes the remaining energy in a drained battery and uses that remaining energy to power some type of load or as in this case, two LEDs. It is a fun way to use up all those "dead" batteries you have lying around and put them to work in the form of a very bright LED light source. The LEDs we utilize in our Joule Thief 1.0 kit are ultrabright white LEDs which have a 110 degree viewing angle which is capable of illuminating an entire room if it's completely dark. A few of these can be extremely handy when power goes out in your house or on a camping trip. They are also very popular with kids. They are so much fun and the light they produce is spectacular.
Click here for the instruction manual (PDF)
- Operating input voltage range: >0.8V
- ON/OFF switch
- Soft turn-on for an aesthetically pleasing look
- Operates from a single AA battery
- Two (2) ultrabright, 120 degree viewing angle LEDs - can illuminate an entire dark room
- Extremely easy to assembly - no hand winding of any transformers