The HVPS2 is a potted high voltage power supply module that can produce high voltage outputs in excess of 20kV. These things really pack a serious punch and can output some very high currents for their size. These units are designed to be used for light duty applications and are great for generating high voltage for all types of high voltage experiments. They accept a power input of 0-6VDC which makes them extremely attractive for battery powered applications. Peak output power of the devices can exceed 30W and under short circuit conditions will draw approximately 5A of current @ 6VDC!
Open circuit, these modules will produce over 20kV of output voltage. When loaded they will typically produce an output voltage of 13kV. We measured these with our own high voltage divider which loaded these units to 70 megaohm and produced approximately 13kV at 6VDC input, 12.6kV at 5VDC input, 11.2kV at 4VDC input, 9.2kV at 3VDC input, 6.2kV at 2VDC input, and 2kV at 1VDC input. These units are not thermally limited, so we recommend about 50% operational duty cycle. We also do not recomend discharging these into a short circuit. Please use proper current limiting resistors to limit output current. The output of these devices are not regulated and output voltage may vary from supply to supply.
These HVPS units are perfect for charging Marx generators and similar devices.
Click here for the datasheet and instruction manual (PDF)
- Operating input voltage range: 0 to 6VDC
- Proportional output voltage control - unregulated
- >20kV output voltage (no load)
- Approximately 13kV with 70 megaohm load
- Potted power supply module
- We recommend 50% duty cycle for light applications only
- Will produce up to 1 inch arcs
- Voltage may vary from unit to unit
- For experimental or amateur use only - Not intended for commercial or precision use