The Lightning Detector 1.0 kit is a great kit for anyone who enjoys building electronics kits and tracking the weather. This lightning detector utilizes a novel lightning detector tank circuit which can detect lightning strikes of any nearby thunderstorm. When a lightning strike is detected, a microprocessor control circuit will register the strike, increment a strike counter, and also alert the user through both an LED and/or buzzer. A high current output is also provided so the user can interface a relay, or other external circuit. An integration circuit, with programmable gain settings, will indicate the relative intensity of the approaching storm. The circuit also includes adjustable detection sensitivity, a LED-backlit 16x2 LCD display, and a set-up menu routine which allows the user to program alert settings, gain, and other settings. An option for using a high intensity Luxeon LED (not included) is also provided.
Please note that this kit is only for hobby use. it should not be used for safety, personal or equipment protection, or scientific use.
Click here for the instruction manual (PDF)
- Detects lightning strikes up to several miles away
- LED and buzzer strike indicators
- Additional high current output driver for relays, lamps, high current LEDs
- Optional ultra brightness 3W LED (shown) - customer supplied
- Storm level indicator with bar graph
- Adjustable sensitivity
- 16x2 character LCD with user set-up menu functions
- For educational and hobby use only - Not to be used for safety or personal protection
- Lightning Detector 1.0 - Complete Kit (power adapter or 9V battery must be supplied by customer)
- Lightning Detector 1.0 - With added power adapter (US plug)
- Lightning Detector 1.0 - Schematic only
NOTE: This kit requires a 9V battery adapter or 7.5V to 12V power adapter (not included)
Note: A telescoping antenna (shown in photos) is no longer supplied with the kit. A wire antenna shall be supplied by customer at the desired length. (See manual for additional details)