IMPORTANT - This product has been replaced with our newer Universal MIDI 1.5 Interrupter.
The Universal MIDI 1.0 Interrupter is an advanced Tesla Coil MIDI based interrupter compatible with both conventional Solid State Tesla Coils (SSTCs) as well as the more common Double Resonant Solid State Tesla Coils (DRSSTCs). The interrupter has several unique modes of operation, including PULSE mode, LOW FREQ mode, BURST mode, and MIDI mode, which provides a nearly infinite number of demonstration modes for your Tesla Coil. The MIDI mode is designed to convert your SSTC or DRSSTC into a musical instrument by allowing one to directly connect any MIDI type instrument, such as a keyboard or synthesizer, directly to the input of their coil and play music through it, while PULSE mode provides standard pulsewidth and frequency based interrupter functionality. LOW FREQ mode provides some very unique pulse based arc effects, and the BURST mode provides some spectacular lightning effects which are great in the classroom to demonstrate lightning propogation.
In MIDI mode, the advanced microcontroller controlled interface allows the playing of both single (monophonic) and multiple (polyphonic) notes through your Tesla Coil. Onboard switches are used to select the various modes of operation while onboard trimmer potentiometers and shaft based potentiometers are provided to fully customize the interrupter to the specific needs of the end user as well as control the output effects of the interrupter. Onboard LED indicators continously provide the user with the operational feedback status of the interrupter which includes MIDI communication.
As this is truly a universal interrupter, we provide the option to use virtually any output connector possible to interface with your particular Tesla Coil. We include the options for both an Broadcom HFBR1412T fiber optic transmitter as well as the Industrial Fiber Optics IF-E96E fiber optic transmitter which utilizes bare fiber optic cable. For electrical connections, we provide both an RCA connector and BNC connector for output.
With ease and simplicity in mind, our kits are specifically designed to use thru-hole components which allows for quick and easy soldering. Also, our kits have all connectors and user controls mounted directly to the board (with the option of externally mounting them if desired) which gives a very neat and professional appearance.
Click here for the instruction manual (PDF)
- Onboard MIDI input connector (5-pin DIN)
- Optically isolated input
- PULSE mode pulsewidth range - 0-2ms
- PULSE mode frequency range - 50-150Hz
- MIDI mode pulsewidth range (high note) - 0-1ms
- MIDI mode pulsewidth range (low note) - 0-1ms
- MIDI mode utilizes linear pulsewidth mapping for duty cycle control
- LOW FREQ mode pulsewidth range - 0-2ms
- LOW FREQ mode frequency range - 1-50Hz
- BURST mode - 0-10 pulses per burst (realtime adjustable)
- RCA and BNC output connectors available
- HFBR1412T and IF-E96E fiber optic connectors available
- Operational modes - User selectable via two onboard switches
- Pulsewidth length - User programmable
- Maximum frequency range - User programmable
- Monophonic and Polyphonic playback
- Multiple MIDI channels available - Channels 1-8 preset through onboard DIPSWITCH
- Terminal block option (sold separately) allows user to easily utilize external switches and potentiometers
The Universal MIDI 1.0 Interrupter is compatible with the following Tesla coils:
- microBrute DRSSTC
- miniBrute DRSSTC
- Reference Design 1.0 Musical Tesla Coil
- Reference Design 2.0 Musical Tesla Coil
- Reference Design 3.0 Musical Tesla Coil
Note: Knobs or terminal blocks for external switch mounting are not included and must be purchased separately. See our accessories page for ordering.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This interupter is without doubt , brilliant. The kit is easy to assemble and full assembly and operating instructions are downloadable from the website.
The one thing that I would like to see is , instead of having an on board terminal connector for the power input , an on board Jack would be better having the same orientation as the 5 pin din for the midi.
That being said, it is a great interupter and excellent value for money. A great addition to my home built coil.
Thanks to Eastern Voltage Research.