The Marx Generator 2.0 is an amazing kit. It is the only high power Marx generator available today. The Marx Generator 2.0 kit will generate a 100kV high voltage pulse of electricity - much like that of lightning - in the confines of your own home. If you are not familiar with these types of devices, a Marx generator is a multi-staged voltage multiplication device in which each state capacitor's are charged in parallel and then with the aid of carefully spaced spark gaps, discharged in series creating a very intense, ultrafast rise-time high voltage output pulse. This is the type of technology that is used to simulate real lightning. Marx generators the size of ten story buildings have been designed, built, and used to test lightning discharges on aircraft, instruments, and other industrial products. Now you can build your very own Marx generator in the comfort of your house or school.
The Marx Generator 2.0 is a 15-stage device and has a 6kV capacitor for each stage. Unlike the smaller Marx Generator 1.0 kit we presently offer, the Marx Generator 2.0 offers stage capacitances 10 times greater. With a 6kV charging voltage, the theoretical maximum high voltage output pulse would be 90kV or nearly 100kV! It can produce output arcs of approximately 4" depending on the input voltage, spark gap spacing, and tuning, and atmospheric conditions. The kit comes with all capacitors, charge resistors, series limiting resistors, as well as right angle mounting brackets so that it may be mounted vertically. The total height of these Marx Generators is a whopping 18" high and is made from extremely strudy 0.124" thick FR-4 and also features internal cut-outs so that each spark gap can be seen during operation.
The spark gaps used in these devices are made from brass alloy which provide a very stable and consistent arcing voltage. The spark gap distances can be easily modified according to the end users specific requirements.
The input of the Marx generator must be a high voltage source of at least 1kV and not more than 6kV. If you do not have a charge source available, we recommend purchasing one of the HVPS2 or HVPS3 high voltage power supplies we offer on our accessories page here.
Click here for the instruction manual (PDF)
- 15 parallel stages
- 6kV maximum per stage
- 5000pF - 10000pF, 6kV stage capacitance (actual capacitance depends on availability of capacitors)
- Total output energy at 6kV charge voltage - approx. 1-3 Joules (depends on capacitor type)
- Maximum theoretical output voltage - 90kV
- Produces 3-4" of output arc depending on input voltage source, spark gap tuning, and atmospheric conditions
- 0.124" heavy duty FR-4 PCB board
- Internal board cut-outs provide maximum high voltage isolation
- Mounting brackets included for vertical mounting
- Total height when mounted vertically - 18"
- Board only - Bareboard PCB with no components
- Standard kit - Includes PCB board, components, and mounting brackets (requires high voltage source)
- Deluxe kit - Includes everything in the standard kit plus a mounting base (required high voltage source)
Note: A feeler gauge or 0.065" shim is required to set the proper spacing for the spark gaps. These can be purchased from an automotive store or hardware store such as McMaster-Carr.
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
The full kit is great full constructed. The PCB design is top notch, and durable! I recommend EVR highly.