The miniBrute DRSSTC Tesla coil system, which is featured in the book, "DRSSTC: Building the Modern Day Tesla Coil - miniBrute Reference Design", is a small two foot high solid state Tesla coil which produces output arc of 36 inches in length and when properly tuned, can produce arcs exceeding 48 inches. When used in conjunction with the Universal MIDI 1.0 interrupter or Advanced Modulator, the miniBrute is capable of creating a wide array of effects including burst modes, single shot mode, long pulse mode, and an infinite number of other effects with continuously variable pulsewidth and frequency. With the Universal MIDI 1.0 interrupter, you can connect to a MIDI source and play music through the output arcs.
Please note that this is an older kit designed for educational teaching use in technical and engineering school programs. It is a highly difficult design and requires considerable time to build. For all new DRSSTC builds, we strongly recommend our Reference Design 1.0 system. The Reference Design 1.0 has considerably higher performance at the same size, substantially higher reliability, much easier to build, and the overall cost will be less.
Also, the miniBrute Reference Design book must be purchased separately.
Click here for the addendum document to the miniBrute DRSSTC design and book
- Excellent as a power electronics teaching aid for technical and engineering schools
- Produces output arcs from 36 to 48 inches
- Operates from 115VAC, 50/60Hz
- Bareboard package - Includes all PCB boards (9 total) - No components included
- miniBrute 1.0 - Includes bareboard package and all board mounted components, including control transformer and IGBTs, to populate those boards
- miniBrute 1.5 - Includes the bareboard package and all electrical components for the entire assembly including board mounted components, primary and secondary copper tubing, magnet wire, DC bus capacitors, bleed resistors, relay, switch, AC power receptacles, and heatsink.
- Panel kit - Laser etched front and rear panels for use with the miniBrute
Note: For the miniBrute 1.5 kit, the end user is required to provide general wiring materials, an enclosure, cooling fan, coilforms, and toroid.